Choosing the right skilled nursing facility for your loved one can be a daunting task, but it’s crucial to ensure that they receive the best care possible. Skilled nursing facilities provide specialized care and rehabilitation services for individuals who have experienced illness, injury, or surgery.
The Methodist Home for Nursing and Rehabilitation is proud to be a skilled nursing facility located in the Riverdale community of The Bronx, New York. We hold a five-star rating from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) for our excellent rehabilitation services and commitment to helping New Yorkers recover from a wide range of health conditions.
If you or a loved one needs some help with recovery or rehabilitation, these tips will help you know how to choose the right skilled nursing facility for your loved one.
Factors to Consider When Choosing a Skilled Nursing Facility
There are several factors to consider when choosing the right skilled nursing facility for your loved one to help ensure they receive quality care and an overall good experience. Don’t be afraid to ask questions of the skilled nursing facility during this process, either! Here are some of the most important factors to keep in mind:
- Choosing a facility that is located near family and friends can help your loved one feel more connected and supported during their stay.
- Knowing visiting hours and policies can help you plan your visits and stay connected with your loved one.
- Do your research and look for facilities with a good reputation and positive reviews from both patients and their families. You can check online review websites or ask for recommendations from healthcare professionals.
- Inquire about how many staff members are on duty at any given time, including the ratio of staff to residents. This can help to ensure there is enough staff available to provide attentive and responsive care to residents.
- The qualifications and training of the staff can have a significant impact on the care that your loved one receives. Look for facilities with highly trained and experienced staff members who specialize in the type of care your loved one needs.
- Ask how the facility assesses and meets each individual patient’s needs, such as dietary restrictions or mobility needs.
- Consider the types of rehabilitation services and amenities that are available at the facility. For example, do they offer in-house physical therapy, occupational therapy, and speech therapy? Are there recreational activities available for residents? How is the food? Will they have a private room?
- Make sure to check whether the facility accepts your loved one’s insurance and what payment options are available. This can help ensure that the cost of care is affordable and manageable.
By considering these things, you can make an informed decision and choose a skilled nursing facility that meets the unique needs and preferences of your loved one.
Tips for a Smooth Transition into a Short Term Rehab Stay
Transitioning into a short term rehab stay can be challenging for both you and your loved one. However, there are several tips you can follow to help make the transition smoother.
- Don’t be afraid to ask staff members questions about your loved one’s care and the facility’s policies. This can help you better understand what to expect during their stay and help you feel more involved in the process.
- It’s important to stay involved in your loved one’s care during their stay. Attend meetings with their care team and participate in their care plan to help ensure that their needs and preferences are being met.
- Bringing familiar items from home, such as pictures or a favorite blanket, can help make the space feel more comfortable for your loved one.
- Adjusting to new routines and surroundings can be difficult, so be patient and understanding. Help your loved one establish a routine and provide emotional support as they adjust to their new environment.
The Methodist Home is Here For You
Choosing the right skilled nursing facility is crucial for your loved one’s health and well-being. By considering a variety of factors and asking important questions when researching short term rehab centers, you can make an informed decision that will benefit your loved one’s recovery.
If you are looking for a skilled nursing facility for your loved one, we would love to answer any questions you have about the Methodist Home for Nursing and Rehabilitation.